This article covers a number of scenarios which might cause the Act4Outlook addin to not load properly.
Act4Outlook will not function if you are using 64-bit office as it is only compatible with 32-bit Offce installations. To verify the version, please follow the steps below:
- Click the File Menu
- Click Office Account
- Click About Outlook
- In the About Outlook window, the version of Office should be display at the top of the window as highlighted below. If you are using 64-bit Office, please contact your IT department and they should be able to assist you in installing 32-bit Office instead. Note: Act! might need to be reinstalled if Office is uninstalled.
Addin disabled by Outlook
Some of the recent versions of Outlook can be quite strict about addin performance and may disable some plugins at startup if they cause Outlook to open slowly, even if it is by a second or two. In most cases, if the Act4Outlook icons have disappeared, it is likely that Outlook has temporarily disabled the plugin. If that is the case, the user must whitelist Act4Outlook so that it doesn’t get disabled by Outlook on startup. To accomplish this, please follow the steps below:
- Click the File menu, and find the section called Slow and Disabled Com-addins, and click the Manage COM Add-ins button beside it.
- Find Act4Outlook.OutlookPlugin in the list, and press the Always enable this add-in button. If you find that the "ACT! Outlook Addin" is disabled, please enable it as well.
- Restart Outlook to make sure the plugin remains active.
LoadBehavior registry key is set incorrectly
If the LoadBehavior registry key is not set to 3, the addin may not load correctly at startup. To change this value, please follow the steps below:
Close Outlook and open up the registry editor by clicking Start and typeing regedit in the search bar and hitting enter.
Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\Act4Outlook.OutlookAddin
Inside, you will see a REG_DWORD called LoadBehavior. Make sure it’s value is set to 3. If not, double click to edit it and enter 3.
- Restart Outlook to verify that the addin now loads correctly.
It might be necessary to reinstall Act4Outlook as some automatic Windows/Office updates may cause problems with Act4Outlook installation. Uninstall Act4Outlook from the Control Panel and re-download and install it from the following link: http://act4work.com/files/a4o/act4outlookinstaller.exe
Corrupt Office Installation
If the above steps do not help and Act4Outlook does not load correctly, it may be necessary to repair the Microsoft Office installation from the Control Panel. If you are given the option of performing a Quick Repair and Online Repair, then please pick Online Repair.
After the repair is completed, please reboot the computer. Please consult with your IT admin and they should be able to assist you with repairing Microsoft Office.